Filtration for Removal of Suspended Solids from Fruit and Vegetable Wash Water and Flume Water
Water is used to wash and transport fruits and vegetables. Most processors try to conserve water for reasons of availability and economics. Filtration and disinfection are required to minimize fresh water usage while ensuring product quality. Consistent and reliable capture and removal of suspended solids:
- minimizes disinfectant usage,
- minimizes water consumption, and
- produces a higher quality product, while reducing downstream processing requirements.
Effective and efficient filtration is important for product quality, as well as the economic viability of the operation.
Ideally, you want a positive barrier that will capture and remove particles large and small, and light and heavy. You also want to minimize maintenance and labor which would make bag and cartridge filtration a poor choice. The Zero Gravity Filters permanent media Spring Filter is a coil wound with a variable pitch that allows the filter element to open evenly from top to bottom ensuring that all contaminants are completely cleaned off the filter element with every backwash. The ZGF Spring Filter is manufactured with precision raised nidges. These nidges create an absolute gap that allow the Spring Filter to capture > 99% of spherical particles larger than the micron rating of the filter.
ZGF Spring Filter technology effectively and efficiently captures and removes contaminants from membrane system feedwater and is:
- fully automatic – the self-cleaning process is initiated based on pressure differential, and accomplished in seconds without interrupting flow to the process
- consistent & reliable
- energy efficient – operates on line pressure, utilizing a minimal amount of electricity and air during backwash
- environmentally responsible – uses <0.75 % of total water volume for backwash
- able to remove particles down to 20 micron
- able to minimize disinfectant and water consumption
- improve product quality while minimizing total operating cost
ZGF Spring Filter technology is the ideal choice for the fruit and vegetable processing operations and has proven success in:
- flume and wash water
- reclamation of wash water
ZGF Spring Filter technology is the ideal choice for removing suspended solids. If true life-cycle costs are considered, typically the payback on ZGF Spring Filter technology can be realized in less than 1 year. This is based on ZGF Spring Filter technology:
- having no moving parts,
- operating costs of less than $100 per year, and
- a 5-year guarantee on the Spring Filter element.
To get a better understanding on where ZGF Spring Filter technology can provide value in your operations, download the Process Diagram, Food Processing Fruits & Vegetables.
Click on ZGF Phoenix vs Bag Filter to see a how a ZGF customer was able realize a simple payback in 8 months.
ZGF technology can provide significant value in several operations and applications. Click on Success Stories to jump to the Success Stories / Case Studies page to learn how ZGF technology provides value
If you want to learn more about ZGF EZ Clean technology, then click on one of the links to download the:
- EZ Clean Phoenix Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean EC700S Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean 900 Product Data Sheet
View the Spring Filter video to see how all the contaminants are removed from the Spring Filter during backwash when the filter element opens and shimmers.
Simplicity, consistency, reliability and the lowest cost of ownership make ZGF Spring Filter technology the best solution and value when you need to remove suspended solids from your fruit and vegetable flume / wash water or wastewater!
ZGF is your preferred partner.
Filtration should not be a burden.
Filtration should be a tool that improves quality and reduces cost.
Let us help you meet your objectives and make your job easier!