Cooling Towers, Chillers, Intercoolers, Condensers & Heat Exchangers
Cooling water is used to transfer heat out of many processes in industrial operations, chemical facilities and refineries, food and beverage plants, as well as commercial and institutional facilities. Cooling water is circulated through cooling towers, chillers, condensers and heat exchangers. Contaminants are introduced to the cooling water from the environment and generated from within the system. To maintain heat transfer efficiencies, these contaminants must be removed from the cooling water. ZGF Maggie, Spring Filter and Tornado technologies are the best choice!
Water is a significant aspect of a HVAC system (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning). Industrial facilities, large office complexes, hospitals, food and chemical plants all use water as a cooling medium. The cooling water must be effectively filtered to remove suspended solids and other contaminants to:
- protect the HVAC equipment,
- maximize heat transfer efficiency, and
- minimize energy and water consumption.
The basic components of the HVAC system include the following:
- Chiller (Evaporator)
- Cooling Tower
- Heat Exchangers
There are several sources for the cooling water, including:
- Cooling Tower
- Surface Water (River, Lake, Reservoir) and Well Water
- City Water and Recycled Water
Virtually all water sources available for cooling require some filtration
Cooling tower, recycled water and surface water supplies can be contaminated by airborne debris, silt, sand, pollen, algae, and other suspended solids. All these water sources can also be contaminated with pipe scale and corrosion by-products. As the contaminants circulate through the system and deposit on the heat transfer surfaces of compressors, chillers, condensers and heat exchangers, they cause a reduction in heat transfer efficiency and increased pressure losses. When you lose heat transfer efficiency and increase pressure drop, then you need to pump more cooling water to realize the same cooling. The net effect of contamination is increased energy and water consumption.
Filtration of process cooling water is often overlooked; but cleanliness of the cooling water can have significant impact on productivity and profitability of an entire operation, as well as the comfort of employees, patients, visitors, etc. Fouled piping and heat exchange surfaces can result in:
- Higher Energy Costs
- Lower Productivity
- Increased Chemical Costs
- Higher Water Usage, and
- Increased Equipment and Infrastructure Maintenance.
ZGF technology removes contaminants effectively and efficiently
Cooling water requires filtration! Effective removal of fines, scale, dirt and other particulate matter from cooling water is extremely critical. Implementation of proper filtration will reduce maintenance costs, improve heat transfer efficiency and save energy. ZGF filtration technology provides an effective, efficient and environmentally responsible solution that can help optimize lifecycle costs and minimize the environmental footprint associated with HVAC and other process cooling operations.
Centrifugal separators are effective at removing medium to large sized particles (50 - 75 microns, and larger). The ZGF Tornado separator is the future of centrifugal separation technology. The innovative separator utilizes an internal blade design. The blades create a unique and beneficial flow path through the separator that increases the “G – Force”, resulting in more effective and efficient particle removal.
The Tornado is a simple but extremely innovative device. The Tornado has no moving parts and no media. Tornado effectively removes particles without any regular maintenance. To see the Tornado separator in operation, click Tornado animation. The animation shows how the patented blade design results in increased particle velocity and higher applied “G-forces”. As the fluid spins through the length of the separator, the particles are forced to the outer wall to the low velocity solids collection zone at the bottom of the separator. The clean fluid is directed back up and into “clean zone slots” and out the top of the separator.
Effective removal of the smaller fines from the cooling water is also extremely critical. Implementation of proper filtration to remove these smaller contaminants will further reduce maintenance costs, improve heat transfer efficiency, and save energy. For removal of these smaller contaminants, ZGF Maggie and Spring Filter technologies provide effective, efficient and environmentally responsible solutions that can help optimize lifecycle costs and minimize the environmental footprint associated with process cooling.
ZGF Spring Filter technology provides a positive barrier that will capture and remove particles large and small, and light and heavy. You also want to minimize maintenance and labor which would make bag and cartridge filtration a poor choice. Zero Gravity Filters permanent media Spring Filter is a coil wound with a variable pitch that allows the filter element to open evenly from top to bottom ensuring that all contaminants are completely cleaned off the filter element with every backwash. The ZGF Spring Filter is manufactured with precision raised nidges. These nidges create an absolute gap that allow the Spring Filter to capture > 99% of spherical particles larger than the micron rating of the filter.
ZGF Spring Filter technology effectively and efficiently captures and removes the contaminants from the cooling water; and the all the contaminants are removed from the Spring Filter element with each backwash. Click on the Spring Filter video and see how all the contaminants are removed during backwash when the filter element opens and shimmers.
ZGF technology is:
- fully automatic – the self-cleaning process is initiated based on pressure differential, and accomplished in seconds without interrupting flow to the process
- consistent & reliable
- energy efficient – utilizing a minimal amount of electricity and air during backwash
- environmentally responsible - uses <0.75 % of total water volume for backwash
- able to remove particles down to 20 micron
- able to maintain heat transfer efficiency and reduce energy and water consumption by capturing and removing contaminants from the cooling water
ZGF technology can be installed and provide value in a variety of places throughout the process cooling system.
ZGF technologies can be installed in-line or as a side-stream filter. To get a better understanding on how ZGF Spring Filter technology can provide value for your operations requiring cooling water, download the Process Diagram, Industrial Process Water or Process Diagram, HVAC / Cooling Water.
ZGF technologies can be installed in the:
- Make-up water supply: Cooling towers require regular make-up to account for evaporative losses, blowdown and leaks. Typical make-up is 5%. Depending upon the water source, this “make-up” can introduce more suspended solids, silt and other undesirable particulate matter. Effective make-up water filtration eliminates one source of external suspended solids contamination.
- Side-stream filtration of the Cooling Tower Basin: The cooling tower basin is open to the atmosphere. Airborne debris, silt, sand, pollen, algae, and other suspended solids are easily introduced. The cooling tower water return lines can also carry pipe scale and corrosion by-products back to the basin. Side-stream filtration can continuously filter the basin and reduce the contaminant load going to the condenser, chiller and heat exchangers.
- Full flow, in-line filtration from the basin to the Condenser: This is the best solution. 100% of the cooling tower water supply is filtered prior to contact with any heat exchange surfaces.
- Full flow, in-line filtration from the Chiller to the Heat Exchangers or Process: This is the best solution. 100% of the Chilled Water Supply is filtered prior to contact with any heat exchange surfaces.
- Side-stream filtration of the Chilled Water Supply: The Chilled Water Supply lines can carry pipe scale and corrosion by-products to the Heat Exchangers. Side-stream filtration can continuously filter a portion of the flow and reduce the contaminant load going to the heat exchangers.
- Once-through Cooling Water circuit: Lake, river, well and recycled water are often inexpensive sources used for once-through cooling. Typically, these inexpensive water sources require the most filtration.
ZGF technology provides value
To learn more on how filtration impacts the cost of process cooling equipment and infrastructure, download the Powerpoint presentation Impact of Filtration on Process Cooling Water Systems.
ZGF Spring Filter patented technology is the best available automatic, self-cleaning filtration technology for cooling and process water applications. The white paper Advances in Self-Cleaning Filtration using Variable Geometry Coil discusses and documents the value of ZGF Spring Filter technology in cooling water applications.
As customers continue to implement our technology and realize the exceptional value, some organizations have shared their success stories. Click on Success Stories to jump to the Success Stories / Case Studies page to learn how ZGF technology provides value.
Click on the links below to learn how our customers were able to reduce operating costs, improve process reliability and quality, and reduce the environmental footprint of their metal removal operations by implementing ZGF technology.
- Reduced Maintenance Costs and Improved Productivity by Installing an Automatic, Self-Cleaning Filtration System on the Cooling Tower
- Improved Overall Performance and Reduced Life-Cycle Costs of HVAC System
- Protected Heat Exchanger and Increased Process Reliability & Reduced Maintenance
- Eliminated Bag Filters and Reduced Energy and Maintenance Costs
- Protects Critical Heat Exchangers with Minimal Maintenance
If you want to learn more about ZGF EZ Clean technology, then click on one of the links to download the:
- EZ Clean EC100 Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean Phoenix Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean EC700S Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean 900 Product Data Sheet
View the Spring Filter video to see how all the contaminants are removed from the Spring Filter during backwash when the filter element opens and shimmers.
The Tornado is a simple but extremely innovative device. The Tornado has no moving parts and no media. Tornado effectively removes particles without any regular maintenance. If you want to learn more about ZGF Tornado technology, then download the Tornado Product Data Sheet or click on the Tornado animation link to view the Tornado separator in operation.
If the primary source of contamination is corrosion by-products and/or iron oxides, then ZGF Maggie technology would be a great option. To learn more about ZGF Maggie technology, download the Maggie Product Data Sheet or view the Maggie in action by watching the Maggie video.
Simplicity, consistency, reliability and the lowest cost of ownership make ZGF technology the best solution and value for your cooling water filtration requirements.
ZGF is your preferred partner.
Filtration should not be a burden.
Filtration should be a tool that improves quality and reduces cost.
Let us help you meet your objectives and make your job easier!
We are always available by phone too. Give us a call!