Water Filtration for the Removal of Suspended Solids in the Food Processing Industry
Food processing is a very broad phrase. It encompasses the journey of your food from farm / field to the stores where you buy it. It includes fruits and vegetables, meat and poultry, dairy and grains.
Water is a critical resource to the food industry that has many uses. The treatment and management of water impacts food safety, product quality and profitability.
Intended uses for water in food production systems include the following.
- Food Ingredient
- Product Washing and Rinsing
- Steam Generation
- Cleaning and Sanitation
Filtration is recommended for all intended water uses.
Fruit and vegetable processing is a segment of food processing that is very dependent on water and water filtration. Fruit and vegetable processing require water in several steps / operations.
- Washing – raw and processed produce
- Peeling / Pitting
- Conveying / Transporting
- Coring, Slicing, Dicing, etc.
- Process Cooling Water
- Cleaning & Sanitation
In general, water is used to wash and transport fruits and vegetables. Most processors try to conserve water for reasons of availability and economics. Filtration and disinfection are required to minimize fresh water usage while ensuring product quality. Consistent and reliable capture and removal of suspended solids:
- minimizes disinfectant usage,
- minimizes water consumption, and
- produces a higher quality product, while reducing downstream processing requirements.
Effective and efficient filtration is important for product quality, as well as the economic viability of the operation.
Zero Gravity Filters offers two extremely unique separation / filtration technologies. Both technologies effectively and efficiently capture and remove suspended solids from water used to process fruits and vegetables.
- Spring Filter – The ZGF Spring Filter is a 316 stainless-steel coil wound with a variable pitch that allows the filter element to open evenly from top to bottom ensuring that all contaminants are completely removed from the filter element with each backwash. The “nidges” provide an absolute gap to ensure consistent and reliable particle capture. The Spring Filter element is utilized in the EZ Clean family of automatic filtration systems.
- Tornado – The Tornado is high “G”-force, centrifugal separator. The Tornado is a simple but extremely innovative device. The Tornado has no moving parts and no media. Tornado effectively removes particles without any regular maintenance.
ZGF technology can be installed in a variety of processes and applications.
To get a better understanding on where ZGF technology can provide value in Food Processing operations, click on one or more of the Process Diagram links below. The process diagrams show you where a ZGF technology can be implemented in a specific process and the benefits it provides.
- Process Diagram, Food Processing – Fruits & Vegetables
- Process Diagram Industrial Process Water
- Process Diagram - Membrane Protection / Prefilter
- Process Diagram, HVAC / Cooling Water.
ZGF technology provides value
Click on ZGF Phoenix vs Bag Filter to see a how a ZGF customer was able realize a simple payback in 8 months.
ZGF technology can provide significant value in several operations and applications. Click on Success Stories to jump to the Success Stories / Case Studies page to learn how ZGF technology provides value.
Click on the links below to learn how one of our food processing customers benefited from recycling their defrost water utilizing ZGF Spring Filter technology.
ZGF Spring Filter & Tornado technologies meet all purchasing and performance criteria by effectively and efficiently capturing and removing suspended solids from water used to process fruits and vegetables.
ZGF technology will provide value because it is:
- fully automatic
- consistent & reliable
- energy efficient - utilizing a minimal amount of electricity and air during purge/backwash
- able to capture and remove particles down to 20 micron
- environmentally responsible – does not generate additional waste, unlike bags, cartridges and roll media
- able to minimize disinfectant and water consumption
- improve product quality while minimizing total operating cost
The product data sheets provide a detailed description and comprehensive overview of each product technology. If you want to learn more about ZGF EZ Clean or Tornado technology, then click on one of the links to download the:
- EZ Clean Phoenix Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean EC700S Product Data Sheet
- EZ Clean EC900 Product Data Sheet
- Tornado Product Data Sheet
Seeing is believing!
Some people need to see something in operation to really get it. Click on the links below to see how each technology works.
- Spring Filter animation – The animation shows the basic principle of operation.
- Spring Filter video - See the coil open and shimmer and the contaminants disappear!
- Phoenix animation – The animation shows the basic principle of operation.
- EZ Clean Phoenix video - The narrated video explains and allows you to see how the Phoenix works; and you can see how all debris is removed during backwash when the Spring Filter opens and shimmers
- Tornado animation – View the Tornado in operation.
Simplicity, consistency, reliability and the lowest cost of ownership make ZGF technology the best solution and value for all your filtration needs!
ZGF is your preferred partner.
Filtration should not be a burden.
Filtration should be a tool that improves quality and reduces cost.
Let us help you meet your objectives and make your job easier!
We are always available by phone too. Give us a call!