Suspended Solids and Particulate Matter Removal from Recycled and Purple Water
Water is an extremely valuable natural resource, and availability is scarce in many areas in the US and around the world. Industrial facilities can use millions of gallons of water per day for manufacturing operations, as well as for use by employees and visitors. Many facilities are beginning to recycle industrial process water, wastewater and grey / purple water. The level of treatment is dependent upon the quality of “used” water and the intended reuse. Removal of suspended solids and particulate matter is required as either a pretreatment and/or post-treatment.
ZGF technology removes contaminants effectively and efficiently
Effective removal of the smaller and lighter suspended solids from recycled water is extremely critical. Ideally, you want a positive barrier that will capture and remove particles large and small, and light and heavy. You also want to minimize maintenance and labor which would make bag and cartridge filtration a poor choice. The Zero Gravity Filters permanent media Spring Filter is a coil wound with a variable pitch that allows the filter element to open evenly from top to bottom ensuring that all contaminants are completely cleaned off the filter element with every backwash. The ZGF Spring Filter is manufactured with precision raised nidges. These nidges create an absolute gap that allow the Spring Filter to capture > 99% of spherical particles larger than the micron rating of the filter.
ZGF Spring Filter technology effectively and efficiently captures and removes the contaminants from the cooling water. ZGF technology is:
- fully automatic – the self-cleaning process is initiated based on pressure differential, and accomplished in seconds without interrupting flow to the process
- consistent & reliable
- energy efficient – operates on line pressure, only utilizes a minimal amount of electricity and air during backwash cycle
- environmentally responsible – uses <0.75 % of total water volume for backwash
- able to remove particles down to 20 micron
ZGF Spring Filter technology can be utilized as a:
- pre-filter to protect membrane and ion exchange systems
- polishing filter to extend the life of expensive low micron cartridge filters
- polishing filter downstream of a clarifier or dissolved air flotation system
- primary filter to reduce suspended solids prior to reuse
ZGF technology provides value
Historically, people have used bag and cartridge filtration for these applications. The cost of using disposable bag and cartridge filters can add up quickly! Costs include:
- Purchasing bags and cartridges
- Disposing of bags and cartridges
- Changing bags and cartridges
- Shipping, handling and warehousing
- Issuing purchase orders and processing invoices
If true life-cycle costs are considered, typically the payback on ZGF Spring Filter technology can be realized in less than 1 year. This is based on ZGF Spring Filter technology:
- having no moving parts,
- operating costs of less than $100 per year, and
- a 5-year guarantee on the Spring Filter element.
Click on ZGF Phoenix vs Bag Filter to see a how a ZGF customer was able realize a simple payback in 8 months.
ZGF technology can provide significant value in several operations and applications. Click on Success Stories to jump to the Success Stories / Case Studies page to learn how ZGF technology provides value.
Click on the link below to learn how one customer benefited from recycling their process water utilizing ZGF Spring Filter technology.
To get a better understanding on where ZGF Spring Filter technology can provide value when you are recycling water for use in a variety of operations, download the Process Diagram, Industrial Process Water and Process Diagram, Membrane Protection / Pre-Filter.
If you want to learn more about ZGF EZ Clean technology, then click on one of the links to download the:
View the Spring Filter video to see how all the contaminants are removed from the Spring Filter during backwash when the filter element opens and shimmers.
Simplicity, consistency, reliability and the lowest cost of ownership make ZGF Spring Filter technology the best solution and value when you are reducing your environmental footprint by recycling water!
ZGF is your preferred partner.
Filtration should not be a burden.
Filtration should be a tool that improves quality and reduces cost.
Let us help you meet your objectives and make your job easier!